Monday, August 02, 2004

Red Bridge (Tube Station) London, UK. (August 5)

New York was an awesome experience. I meet a lovely guy from England in my room, and we spent the next day getting to know New York. It is one of the great things about hostelling, you do meet people, and are able to enjoy exploring the city together. I didn’t have much time, as I was flying out that evening so we had to pick a few things to do.

On the list, before I got to New York, I had a desire to visit the Museums and the Art Galleries. The way my day fell, we ended up catching the Subway to Ground Zero, and walking from there through lower Manhattan to Battery Park, were we lined up, and took a cruise past the Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island, before coming back to Battery Park, and walking back down Broadway, through Time Square [One of my favourite crazy things I saw was here - a counter, measuring the US national debt, increasing rapidly every second ... ], and ending up at Central Park. Where we experience one of the best drenchings I’ve had in a long time, (I had an umbrella but it wasn’t very useful), by a storm (which would prove to later delay my departure from the US).

My impressions of New York - staring back towards Manhattan, was the empty hole in the Skyline where the World Trade Centre was. Another thing that surprised me was the friendliness of the locals as they saw tourists looking in bewilderment at the skyline, street signs, and then their maps.

As I write, I’m tubing back into my Hostel in London. Its been one of the more frustrating days, London has not made that much of an impression on me, its been too hot, and I don’t think the flight agreed with me.

One of the things that I’ve found most concerning during my time away, has been how little time I’ve spent in the Word. I brought a lot with me to look at, but I’ve just been tired. Its not helpful.

Tomorrow, though I’m looking forward to visiting LORDs, (seeing the Ashes – yes I am a sports tragic), and then in the Evening I’ve got a performance of Les Miserables to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment