Saturday, August 07, 2004

Belfast - August 17

Decided that I was going to go to the Tattoo while in Edinburgh, [Ed – who’d of thought that it would follow me – and be in Sydney Feb 2005 – the second time its been out of Scotland – the other it went to Wellington]

Anyway, in the morning I lined up for tickets, wearing my All Blacks jumper, as I knew that it was about the same time the All Blacks took the field in Auckland. Quite a fun experience, I was across the road from a pub or café that was showing the game live. Every so often I would hear cheers, or groans of disbelief, unfortunately for my poor heart, they weren’t obviously pro Kiwi, or pro Aussie. And finding out was not worth sacrificing my place in the ever-growing queue.

It all ended well for the displaced Kiwi – I bought a ticket for the Tattoo, and the Kiwi’s won 21-17 in a tense close game.

To borrow from The Whitlims – I love this city. It’s a beautiful city, a mixture of the Georgian Architecture of the Town, and the medieval buildings of the old town, with the famous castle as the centrepiece. I was really swept away in Edinburgh. I can't quite put it into words, but its just such a romantic, enchanting, city.

The Tattoo was amazing. I love the sound of the bagpipes, it was moving hearing the Lone-piper play ‘The Last Post’. The absolute highlight was the Swiss Drum corp who were amazing. It was high speed precision drumming, combined with throwing their drumsticks to each other, while maintaining the beat. Amazing!

I had an uneventful flight over to Belfast. On my way in to the City I had a great conversation with the Cabby, who talked to me a little about ‘the troubles’, and how it had settled down a touch over the last 10 or so years.

I spent my first full day on the Northern Coast heading around to the Giant’s Causeway. The Giant’s Causeway was beautiful. It’s a natural wonder of the modern world. Formed if you believe the Irish, by a Giant who wanted to visit Scotland, or if you believe the Scientists it is a cooled Lavaflow from ages past.

I haven’t felt awkward about being in Belfast. You do see, and hear reminders of the troubles, such has the 20 metre high fence, and the thousand of flags which, line the streets, which are painted on the gutters, but on the whole its simply a city filled with people who are going about there day to day lives.

One of the things I felt, and I’m not sure where I got this from, but its not mine: Until those in Ireland, love their children, more than they hate each other this city will be filled, like Palestine with strife, and the cycle of hate will continue. Lasting peace though is only found in Christ.

Untitled
- written in Belfast

Generation to generation
Stories past down
Prejudices formed, as legs learn to walk

The cycle continues,
The hate will grow
Unchallenged by all
Its for the ages

Future hope,
In love giving birth
Stories changed
Hope in an innocent heart
An unstained life
A peace from the future, that will endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment