Sunday, August 08, 2004

Dublin … Ireland ..

Last night was a novel experience. I was in the pub watching a game of soccer between Ireland and Australia. It was the first time in my life that I have been completely gutted by watching Australia lose. For those who may be curious Ireland won 2-1. Australia could well have been three goals up by half time. Anyway, back to Dublin. I had a quick look around the Temple Bar district today. The last few days have been kind of quiet as I am winding down preparing to endure, sorry, enjoy the flight back home. I’ve spent the day out at Killmanian Goal (if you are a U2 fan from way back, it was used in the filmclip of A Celebration [in 1982 or 1983], but probably better known for being used in the Daniel Day Lewis film In the Name of the Father.)

30 000 ft, above the North West Australian Coast

Well there you go, apparently I’m home. Its been a great trip. Thinking back over it, I have learnt a great deal. The idea of going away on a working holiday is somewhat appealing.

It has been a revealing trip, challenges I think I need to work on is self-image. I need to embrace who God has made me to be. I find it far easier to own the weaknesses, own my sinfulness. God has made me the way I am. I am God’s workmanship. He has determined the boundaries of my life and that is something for which, to be thankful.

Parts of travelling alone are good. I found that through staying in Hostels you do meet interesting people, and you are able to share little bits and pieces of both the yourself and the experience of travelling.

Postscript:

That is a run through of my reflections while on Holiday. One of the lessons I think I learnt while I was away was how valuable Christian community is. I deeply missed my church, and did not really think through what I'd do about fellowship with other Christians before I left. Sure I brought tapes and a book of studies to do while I was away, but it was community I missed. I value the love, encouragement, and rebukes of a Christian family seeking to be more like Christ. I missed being able to pray with each other, and talk about God’s will for our life, wrestling with the Word together during and after the sermon. Sure I may have found that had I got to church, but I think that was the problem for me, it was harder to get to church, you not always sure where they are, and what they are going to be like, (and I’d always seem to be on the road on Sundays as well). If I was to go again, I’d flesh out in my mind where to church before I left.

+++

[...] but if the path set before her feet was to be narrow she knew the flowers of quiet happiness would bloom along it. The joys of sincere work and worthy aspiration and congenial friendship were to be hers; nothing could rob her of her birthright of fancy or her ideal world of dreams. And there was always the bend in the road!
“'God’s in His Heaven, all’s right with the world'” whispered Anne softly.

No comments:

Post a Comment